Saturday 10 November, 2007

Diwali! Festival of Lights

Diwali, the festival of lights is one of the only celebrations my family makes every year, even when we were in Canada. This year, it was extra special because I was able to celebrate it with my extended family, IN India..something that I havent ever been able to do.

Diwali is always celebrated on the darkest night of the month, a new moon night, and also the stillest night of the year. So that any of the dias(candles) that are lit, are not burnt out.

It is the celebration of the Goddess of Lakshmi (the Goddess of wealth) and Ganesh (the God of good fortune) so you are supposed to be with family to welcome them both into your homes, for wealth and good fortune.

In Bengali celebrations, it is also Kali Puja, Kali being the destroyer of all darkness. This year they both happened to fall on the same night. So I think the intensity in the air was that much more...

Me, being the accident prone, absent minded female that I am, burnt myself within the first 15 minutes of the fireworks and was subjected to holding ice to my thumb for the rest of the evening.

That aside, it was a wonderful night, one I enjoyed thoroughly and one I look forward to next year, hopefully minus any of the battle wounds.

The celebrations continued all night, at times sounding like there was a war going on outside.

The following photos are of this last night, full of colour, fire, loud noise and of course, drink..


















Happy Diwali to all!
Peace and Love,
Ro

3 comments:

older said...

girl,
this is exciting! i definitely wont be making it to india any time soon but with the pictures you snap and post, i feel like im getting a decent insider's look of india. muah!
-a

Light Rose said...

Hey lady!

I like your photos. I like the mendhi ones a lot. Did you get it done?

Happy Diwali!!!

Love

John said...

Wow, Really amazing pictures of Diwali celebration. I see your post and fresh my childhood memories of diwali celebration. Diwali all over the world is observed with a great deal of excitement and enthusiasm. But Diwali Celebration is incomplete without exchange of special Diwali Gifts. NRI people can send online diwali gifts to india to their relatives and loved one.