Sunday 8 July, 2007

Monsoon Madness

It's been raining a lot. Yesterday was the first day of the ceasing of intesne 24/5 day rains. Like seriously. It still rains at least once or twice a day, but you know, I can't complain, I love rain.
Luckily, in South Calcutta, where I live, the drainage systems are in pretty decent condition and we are in high lying areas so we didn't get flooded in. However, in many many other parts of Cal, especially North Calcutta (for those of you who have seen Born Into Brothels, thats the area that was most badly effected). People were moving about in boats and were swimming, and playing games in the water, and drowning. Yes, sad but true.
The following photos are from Day 1.5-2 of the rains, so the water levels were pretty low in comparasion to what they were the rest of the week.

And so the rains begin. Monsoon time!

Down the road that these guys are blocking and stopping cars from entering was a taxi more than half submerged.

View from my front windows during one of the storms. During a wedding (eeks!).





With so much rain, there is bound to be an abundance of life...


I've been watching the growth of moss and little plant sprouts everyday, growing with the monsoons..

Meow.

I think I took this right before the monsoons. Soon I'm going to have quite a collection of city dogs. I like this shot.




Post Tropical Storm


Even with the death of trees from past storms....

...New Life is Born.

This last set of shots were taken at Victoria Memorial. A beautiful marble erection in the midst of busy dirty Calcutta.


I'm enjoying myself here in Calcutta, however, I cant help but feel like I want to see and do more. However, that isn't outside my character by any means. I have been here one month and one week (I am able to track my time with the cycle of the moon, which is highly convenient for me).
Thats more than half the time I have normally spent here during my past visits. Regardless of all that, for once in my life, I don't feel like a complete tourist in India, despite my constant shutter-bugness (can I even say that?!). Though everyday I meet my differences in thought, character, dress, language...almost everything with my fellow Indians. But that has never discouraged me in making the most of every situation I've been faced with. Blah I go on..this is who I am, take it or leave it.

Have to go enjoy the finals of Wimbledon now. I hope Federer wins.
(FEDERER WON! YAYAYAYAY!)

Humble Grumble
Love bug,
R

No comments: