Tuesday 22 May, 2007

T minus 7 days.

This is me, approximately one month before my departure for India. Today is one week before I leave for Calcutta,India, or as it is now known as, Kolkata. I was born in this city of 44 million people at the time of my birth and now, after 16 years my parents have returned to my hometown. I lived in Calcutta (I can't start calling the city 'Kolkata' after so many years!) till I was 4 and then moved to Dubai,UAE with my family, frequently visiting family in Gujarat and West Bengal throughout the years there. My mother is Gujarati and my father is Bengali*.

After 8 years in Dubai, my parents decide its time we shift roots again, so we pick up, bag and baggage to first, Calcutta, to sell all our things and then three months later to London, Ontario, Canada. I'm 12 and my whole world has turned upside down. I spoke perfect English so that wasnt an issue, but trying to fit into this North American way of life was very difficult,backwards and oftentimes nonsensical,but I'm a chameleon so I made it work. I have been moulded into the person I am today for all the intrusive, enlightening, obscure, racist, blissful, magical people, pixies, vegans and things that I have encountered.

After 8 years in Canada and 6 years between London and Toronto I havent had the opportunity to return to India. I have grown immensely in this time. I'm 20 now, my nephews are all grown up, my grandmother,who is a greatgrandmother now is still the same in my memory,but I'm sure she has aged in the way you wish time would just stand still,long enough to hold onto those you love..and all the years of smoking and drinking for my uncles and aunts are catching up with them.I havent seen any of my family in this time, except for a cousin in Florida who has been away much longer than I have. I miss them, and have practically forgotten what its like to have cousins, grandparents,uncles and aunts!

I'm returning for 6 months. I will be travelling to various places in Gujarat, West Bengal, Delhi, Rajasthan, Bombay (Mumbai!), and I hope, Thailand and Bhutan. This is the first time I have been inspired to create a photo blog. So that I may communicate with my friends, who have been my family while I have been away from mine, and document my journey through this magical,chaotic,dirty,enchanting country and beyond!

My photography is an integral part of myself and this journey. It exists to be shared with you in hopes that I may inspire you to go get lost so that you may find yourself as well. I'm going to struggle with the languages, 3 of them, buried in my memory. I'm going to struggle with the customs and traditions, the impositions upon women and the lack of respect from men. Im going to struggle with getting my Indian citizenship back, that which the government of India revoked when I turned Canadian. And I'm going to struggle with saying goodbye to my friends, and my life and my love, Matthew. Despite these negatives, I'm looking forward to each and every step because I know that I am only going to be more alive because of it.

Tune in for my weekly post, and I hope you have a fabulous spring, summer, autum and winter, I'll see you when I get back..

Love,
Rohini

*Note: Indians refer to Bnegalis as 'Bongs.' Yes, I know, dont mention it..I'm Zach's favourite Bong too..

4 comments:

Saddle To The East said...

I hope you have a wonderful journey. May you meet many angels along your way, and " may the Force be with you" .
Love Always

Light Rose said...

ROOHHIIIIIINNNNNNNIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DON'T GO!!!!!
I miss you too much already.
I missed you the moment I walked towards the apartment and I realised you wouldn't be there when I walked in.
Be safe and be strong and know that I will always be thinking of you and the amazing thing you will be seeing and doing and EATING!
pickle pickle pickle

I LOVE YOU MORE THAN WORDS CAN EXPRESS

"don't say goodbye just say so long"

BALJEET SINGH said...

hey haaii!!!! this is baljeet here...........we met at inner circle.......remember....hey checked your blog and your photography too, good yaar..... nice work..hope to see yaa again my mail id is emialbaljeet@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Good to see & read this.

I hope u will go long way.
Keep it up.
have u visit my site: indranilsarkar.com
I want to use u as a model of my photograph. R u iterested?
Take care Rohini
Keep in touch
With best wishes

Indra